November 3, 2011

Elusive Sleep

Have you ever suffered from insomnia?  If you have, you'll know exactly where I'm coming from.  If you have not, then you probably won't understand the havoc this can wreak on a person's being from the inside out.  I started with it about 5 years ago, off and on.  I finally mentioned it to my doctor and she prescribed a low dose of medication to help me get some sleep.  I took it for a short time, then I no longer needed it - I was CURED!  Ha, well, temporarily.  This summer, it started again.  Honestly, I averaged between 3 and 4 hours sleep each night from June through September.  Terrible, terrible.  I once again talked to my doctor about it - reluctantly, because I HATE taking pills of any kind and I always prefer to "tough it out" if at all possible.  Well in this case, I think I was all toughed out and needed some help.  I've only taken medicine two or three times since seeing her recently, but with the sickness going through our house lately combined with my sleep deprivation, I was feeling downright SICK - like "not getting out of bed today" sick.  Sooooo, I opened my little bottle last night and popped  one before bed.  ::SIGH::  Let me tell you how good I feel today - really, REALLY good! I was up at 530, downed a banana and some water, and hit the beast for YESTERDAY's WOD, which I couldn't WAIT to do (seriously).

Hill repeats. 6-8 of 'em. At least 90 seconds in duration: full intensity! Bonus for weighted vest or those who do 10 burpees after each repeat.   

I opted for burpees over a weighted vest because, 1) I don't have a weighted vest and 2) I just didn't want to :P  I did my push ups, ab work, and some yoga as well.  When my workout was complete, I hopped on Facebook and was in awe over Spartan Race's post......

Today you will change your life. Today you will commit to eating clean and training daily. Even if it is just 20 pushups or a walk, you must get out and do SOMETHING every day. Signing up for a race is what jump starts most people to do this. It can be any race. Just commit, tell everyone you are doing it so you are forced to train, and STFU...Spartan the F up!

Amen, people.  Amen.

Happy Trails :)

No comments: